Friday, October 27, 2006

I heart October


October has screamed past me this year. This is my favorite time of year. When you feel that first chill of winter in the air. Sweatshirts and socks in the house. That first hum of furnace air. I love, love LOVE our red maple in front of our house. It turns fire red every October. It's the prettiest tree on the block (if I do say so myself). I have pictures upon pictures of this tree every year. I can't get enough of it.
O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
Tomorrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call;
Tomorrow they may form and go.
O hushed October morning mild,
Begin the hours of this day slow.
Make the day seem to us less brief.
Hearts not averse to being beguiled,
Beguile us in the way you know.
Release one leaf at break of day;
At noon release another leaf;
One from our trees, one far away.
- Robert Frost, October

2 comments:

Bek said...

Wow...that is a maple. We have a japanese maple in our little front courtyard (we haven't graduated to having a yard yet...). It doesn't turn until late in the year.

Last year, it had just started to turn and we had a huge rainstorm and all the leaves fell off. No red tree for me that year. :-) We haven't had the leaves turn yet, but last night was the first night when I wished I had long sleeves on so it will be soon..... :-)

wendysue said...

I was glad I snapped that picture when I did because I think yesterday we lost about 1/2 of the leaves off the red maple. All the streets are looking so fabulous right now, I love it!