Monday, February 12, 2007

H.E.L.P.

"I'm sending out an S.O.S."--ok, I'm ready to break out all of my "Police" music after last night's grammy opening (and by the way, why wasn't that crowd going crazy?. . .) ANYWAY, that's not what this is about. .

I need your help.

I was minding my own business at church yesterday and got the "Could I speak with you for a moment" from a member of the bishopric.

You are reading the blog of the current roadshow director.

Not sure what a "roadshow" is? Well, way back when, they used to do these big play/muscial productions with all kinds of themes and travel around showing off their stuff. These days, if they still happen (they haven't had them here for years), they just have everyone show up and perform them on the same night (yep, that means like hours and hours. .)

Thus the call for help.

I initially said, "oh, boy, I don't know. . ." then he handed me the sheet of paper with an underlined part "no more than 10 minutes long". .

"OH, I can do that."

I was thinking back to the huge production show that Oh Judy's mom put on when we were youngins. (Oh Judy and I and our friend were a mock up of the Supremes singing "Our country is like a lovely symphony. . .a splendid melody. ." I still remember all the words)

So, only 10 minutes long production and include as many people from the ward as possible.

So, our theme for the roadshows is "Heros and Heroines". We're supposed to come up with a mostly musical, creative, funny show. They suggest using well known music and changing words to fit your show.

Here's my only idea so far (and I think it's not too bad. . .)

"American Hero" based on American Idol, of course. We can have an MC (mock up of Ryan Seacrest), and have a huge number of "American Heros", singing about whatever they've done/what they're famous for. . . .to be named (cue Ryan Seacrest voice)
"Your next . . . . . . American Hero".
With some big concluding number with everyone. . .

So, help, help, help. . .it's not until October so I have time, but I'd like to get it done and rolling ASAP.
Any other theme-related ideas???
Hero/heroine choices???
Song choices???
Lyrics????
Costume ideas???
Dance numbers????
Funny little diddys that I won't be able to come up with on my own????

HELP!!


Thanks!!

7 comments:

Christy said...

I'm so glad it's you and not Carl!!! ha ha.

I thought your High School Musical idea was a good one. A spoof on that of some sort.

When Carl and I were in the single's ward we did a really cute one about single life all based on Primary songs. I think we have the video somewhere if you want to borrow it.

The American Hero idea is really good, too! I can see how that one could really take off.

Lisa said...

I'll get my mom right on that!

Somehow I see Benjamin Franklin singing something from Electric Boogaloo. . .but that's just off the top of my head . . .

"We live in this free land, so we extend our hand, to every in this world--you're invited, we're excited. . . " Yeah, I remember it, too!!!

wendysue said...

There we go LVC

Benjamin Franklin
"we're gonna rock down to electric avenue. . .and then we'll take it higher!"

Bek said...

Wendy,

I think your American Hero idea is a good one b/c it gives you TONS of wiggle room. HSM would be good, but there is a set number of people and a loose story to work around, w/ American Hero you can pick WHOEVER you want (depending on the costume and lyrics you manage to come up with).

Let me get thinking on it...

You could have a missionary, a woman....

great ideas...

QueenScarlett said...

I'm so not creative...but I'm always an entertained audience member. Just make sure you give yourself a guitar solo... ;-)

Jon Conradt said...

I would suggest you consider a melodrama. Lots of Boo's, Hurrahs, and Hissing!

I think the story of Abinadi is screaming out to be a melodrama. Heck, you may not even need songs if the audience is participating. Just throw in a closing song to the Nebraska Fight Song and call it a night.

:)

Hollie said...

Nebraska fight song...that is awesome. So, who would be Paula, Randy, and Simon? Laban or Lemuel for Simon...always murmuring...haha.